CorePlayer + Perian = Better AC3 Audio


CorePlayer struggles with AC3 audio, but I discovered that installing Perian fixed this issue about 90%.

As a big user of VLC and Mplayer for about a decade before I bought CP in January, I hardly ever use Quicktime for playback.  In turn, I never bothered installing Perian, as I didn't need extra codecs for it. It turns out that Perian makes some codecs truly system wide for any compatible app.  In this case the compatibility is accidental.

Most of the MKV wrapped h.264 I play have AC3 audio so this is a huge help!  I still have some issues with XviD that have AC3, but all the h.264 that had it play fine now.

Just something I wanted to share with the few CorePlayer users out there. I am running version 1.3.6 of CorePlayer and OS X 10.5 Leopard for the record.

Perian can be found here for those that don't have it or know of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment